Let’s just call this a BLAT ~ bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato. And let’s up the game on the mayo a bit and add some pesto. There you go, the best BLT you’ll have all summer. Yes, summer, the only time to make BLT’s are when tomatoes are in season. And are they ever in season right now. I’m obsessed with them all ~ every kind of tomato I can find and try at the farm.
You want to see some tomato pics? Here, take a look. I can’t help myself, they are gorgeous. And the taste, oh man, just bursting with sweet, fresh, real tomato flavor. We’re eating these guys every day.
I love a good BLT, and by that I mean simple and classic ingredients. White toast, thick-sliced bacon, crisp lettuce, the star ~ tomatoes ~ and a generous slathering of mayo, that’s the ideal. But I also love avocados and pesto, also abundant this time of year. So I decided to put it all together and the BLAT was born in my house. How do you like your BLT’s?
We just had these again last night and I hear August, 20 is National Bacon Lovers Day, so I think we’ll have them again. Did you know they say bacon cures hangovers? Just sayin’ ~ I’ll let you know if it works.
- Thick-cut bacon
- Green lettuce, washed and crisped in the refrigerator
- Tomatoes, preferably heirlooms or other seasonal tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
- 2 heaping tablespoons good quality mayo (I like Hellmann's)
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto, jarred is just fine
- Bakery white bread, sliced
- Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels. Toast white bread slices. In small bowl, combine mayo and pesto until well mixed. Adjust and make more if needed.
- Have all ingredients ready to go, mise en place, and make sandwiches. Spread piece of toast with pesto mayo, top with lettuce, 2 to 3 slices of bacon, tomato slices ~ sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then some avocado. Spread second piece of toast with some more pesto mayo and place on top. Smash down slightly and cut in half. Enjoy!