Chicken Stroganoff, an easy weeknight family favorite, all in one skillet ~ chicken, mushrooms and onion in a paprika-laden sour cream gravy.
Chicken, onions and mushrooms, sour cream gravy… sour cream … did I mention sour cream? This dish has all the elements for success in my family, especially for my husband — if there is any kind of a creamy gravy involved, he is the first one at the table. The chicken is tender, the mushrooms and onions notably present, the paprika, and the rich sour cream gravy. It is a winning combination.
Chicken stroganoff has replaced pork chops and apples for Picky Eater’s requested special dinner. My oldest, Always Hungry, was home recently from New York and brought her boyfriend to meet us. She requested chicken stroganoff for one of the meals. And of course, my mom loves it, although she hasn’t attempted to make it yet herself. It is in my rotation when she visits.
I also like this dish because it is fairly simple and comes together in one pan on the stovetop. We like it over buttered egg noodles, or spaetzle. I’ve said it before, homemade chicken broth is best if you have it, and season with salt as you go. It also helps to have everything ready to go when you start preparing this dish. And don’t forget the glass of white wine for the cook. Enjoy ~ Kelly
You might also like Chicken Paprikash, another one skillet, easy dinner.
If you’ve tried this French Onion Soup, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for all the latest updates.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cooked egg noodles or spaetzle, for serving
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, a sprinkle of salt, and cook 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms, another sprinkle of salt, and stir and cook until beginning to release their liquid and starting to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter, then add the chicken, flour and paprika. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken browns, about 5 minutes or so.
- Add the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir, scraping up all the brown bits. Lots of flavor here and I often use a metal spatula to get up all the bits. Cook until thickened, about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Continue simmering until chicken is cooked through, about 2-3 more minutes.
- In serving bowl, top cooked egg noodles with the chicken mixture and chopped parsley. Sprinkle with additional paprika if desired.
* Adapted from the Food Network