Easy, classic bran muffins made with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. The best part? No raisins!
I love bran muffins, and I used to eat one every day for breakfast. Seriously, I did. I didn’t make them, I got them at a local French bakery in St. Paul, Minnesota. In fact, I would buy them all up and freeze them so that I always had one on hand. Years before that, I would buy them up from a supermarket bakery in Cleveland. I was a bran muffin hoarder. And why did I obsess over these muffins so much? Because they had NO RAISINS! Just really good, plain, moist (hate that word) with a slightly crusty top, bran muffins. I can never find plain bran muffins, never. But then recently I came across a recipe for raisin bran muffins that looked really good and I don’t HAVE to add raisins, or anything else for that matter. Just classic bran muffins ~ yea!
I must say, these are pretty darn good. Whole wheat flour, wheat bran, Greek yogurt ~ good stuff. They rise up beautifully and are crusty and dense. They’re not quite as dark as my previous addictions, but these muffins have the same texture and a better taste overall.
My favorite way to enjoy a bran muffin is for breakfast ~ warm, split in half with the muffin top in tact, slathered with butter, and a good cup of joe. Maybe a banana, too. It’s the perfect way to start my day.
So, I have a dozen delicious classic bran muffins now, with no raisins, I’m so happy. I froze half of them, and Meathead and I (and a guest tomorrow) have some muffins for breakfast the next couple of days. I feel a newly awakened obsession coming on this new year ~ I’ll be making these all the time. Peace, Kelly
You know what else I like for breakfast? Sour cream coffee cake!
If you’ve tried these Bran Muffins or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how yours turned out in the comments below ~ I love hearing from you! You can also FIND ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST. Never miss a post ~ sign up for The Hungry Bluebird Newsletter for a weekly email of new content.
Classic Bran Muffins
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt ~ I like Fage
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon ~ Yes, 1 tbsp!
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt ~ I use Diamond Crystal, always
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg, freshly grated or like me ~ not
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter (1½ sticks), room temp, very soft ~ leave out overnight, if you can, needs to be very soft
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Put wheat bran in large measuring cup and pour boiling water over it, stir to combine and let sit 5 minutes, then stir in the Greek yogurt and eggs, mix well.
- Meanwhile, place all dry ingredients in a bowl ~ flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg ~ and whisk to combine.
- Transfer dry mixed ingredients to bowl of stand mixer and add the really soft butter. Mix on low speed until butter is fully incorporated.
- Add the bran mixture and mix until just combined. Remove bowl from stand and with spatula, make sure batter is fully mixed in from the bottom.
- Evenly fill well-buttered muffin tin with batter, each of the 12 cups will be pretty full. The batter rises and puffs but does not spread. Bake in center of oven until firm, about 18 - 22 minutes. Pop muffins out to wire rack and serve warm with lots of butter. Store remaining muffins for 2 days or freeze.
*Adapted from Stella Parks, Serious Eats