The holidays are over, winter break is finally over, and all the kids are gone. They’re back to school or work or whatever it is they do, but they’re not here. That means I can cook and make what I want. If I want popcorn for dinner, then so be it. It’s always a little liberating when they all leave, and, of course, I miss them immediately, but not their eating habits so much.
Picky Eater was the last to leave this past weekend. I made some hummus and bought some naan to have with it. A lot of naan. I was rummaging through the fridge and pantry and decided to make a grilled cheese sandwich, using the naan instead of bread. Oh look, bacon. And brie. And fig jam. And what can I do with these pink onions? I know, I’ll caramelize them. I had the makings for one seriously epic grilled cheese. With the kids gone, this was going to happen. Two of my girls don’t eat any pork products, and one doesn’t like brie that is too creamy, and Picky Eater, well I won’t go into that.
Have you ever seen these pink onions I speak of? I just noticed them at the grocery. The produce guy tells me they are milder than red onions. Maybe. I cut them up and tossed them in a pan with a little butter and olive oil and cooked them long and slow, and finished them off with a hit of balsamic vinegar. Look how pretty they are…
And then, after about 40 minutes, they looked like this…
Now I just assembled my grilled cheese. I cut the naan in half, and lightly buttered one side of each half. Turn naan over and spread some fig jam on each slice. Then on one slice, cover with slices of brie, top with those glorious caramelized onions, a couple of slices of smoky bacon, and then top with the other half of naan.
I do not have a panini maker or any such thing, but that would probably work great. I made mine the old-fashioned way, in a nonstick pan on the stove. And this is what I got…
A gooey, melty, messy, jammy (I love that word) sandwich of deliciousness. You will definitely be licking your fingers with this one. This grilled cheese for grown-ups has it all, a sweet, creamy, salty, smoky pile of savoriness. Meathead and I snarfed down a couple, with no comments from the peanut gallery, like “What is that?!?”
Grown-Up Grilled Cheese
Makes one sandwich
- Naan bread (or any flatbread you prefer)
- Fig jam/preserves
- Brie cheese (I used a triple cream French brie)
- 2 to 4 onions, yellow, white, red or pink, caramelized (long and slow, in a heavy bottomed pan, stir and scrape up bits, try not to burn, turn down heat as needed)
- 2 slices cooked, thick sliced bacon
- Butter, softened (I used butter made from grass-fed cows, my favorite nowadays)
- Make your caramelized onions, it took me about 40 minutes. Use as many onions as you want, depending on how many sandwiches you want. Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside with the onions.
- Cut naan/flatbread in half. Lightly butter one side, turn over and spread some fig jam on each slice. On one piece of bread, layer 2-4 slices of brie, then some onions, and then the bacon. Put other half of bread on top, fig jam side down.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Grill sandwich until brown on each side and cheese has melted. It browns quickly, you may need to turn down heat. I also covered with a lid to help melt the cheese.