Chicken, mushrooms and onion in a rich paprika-laden sour cream gravy.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Cooked egg noodles or spaetzle, for serving
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion, a sprinkle of salt, and cook 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms, another sprinkle of salt, and stir and cook until beginning to release their liquid and starting to brown, about 4 minutes.
Add remaining tablespoon of butter, then add the chicken, flour and paprika. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until the chicken browns, about 5 minutes or so.
Add the chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir, scraping up all the brown bits. Lots of flavor here and I often use a metal spatula to get up all the bits. Cook until thickened, about 5 more minutes.
Stir in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Continue simmering until chicken is cooked through, about 2-3 more minutes.
In serving bowl, top cooked egg noodles with the chicken mixture and chopped parsley. Sprinkle with additional paprika if desired.