Easy baked chicken with white beans, onion, bacon and stewed tomatoes. One skillet dinner from stovetop to oven.
We eat a lot of chicken in this house. This has been one of our favorites for a long time. I got it out of Gourmet magazine years ago. I miss that magazine. I’ve gotten quite a few cooking magazines over the years and Gourmet was my favorite. Anyway…
This is made with bone-in chicken thighs, our favorite around here. And bacon and onion. You can’t go wrong with that combination. Is there any better smell in the kitchen than smoky bacon and onion sautéing in a pan? I think not. While any white bean will do, I like cannellini beans. Lastly, stewed tomatoes add a hint of sweetness and contribute to the wonderful sauce in this simple dish.
My mom loves this chicken and I always make it when she comes to visit. She has made it for family and friends back home to rave reviews. She adds some minced garlic to hers because she says it needs it. She really likes garlic. Knowing my mom, it needs salt. She tends to not salt enough because she’s afraid she’ll overdo it. Season with salt as you go, makes a big difference in bringing out the flavor of what you’re cooking. When you don’t salt and then add it at the very end, your food tastes kind of bland with salt on it. I use kosher salt. Just my two cents.
I almost always have a glass of white wine nearby when I’m cooking dinner. I deglaze my pan with a splash of wine from my glass when the onions are browning. I recently started adding fresh rosemary to this dish and, wow, it turned out to be the perfect addition.
This chicken and white beans dish has just five ingredients that transform into a homey, hearty meal for family or friends, all in one skillet. My kind of dish. So is my Chicken with Pancetta and Tomatoes and Chicken in Mustard Sauce. Enjoy, Kelly
Baked Chicken and White Beans
- 4 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (can use up to 6 smaller thighs)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 15.5 oz cans of small white beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook bacon in a large, heavy ovenproof skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep fat in the skillet.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown chicken, skin side down, in bacon drippings over med-high heat, turning once, about 4 minutes a side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of fat in the skillet and reduce heat to moderate. Add onions, season with salt and cook, stirring to scrape up any brown bits. Deglaze with a bit of white wine to get up all the bits. Cook until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the chopped rosemary and stir to combine.
- Stir in the tomatoes and juice to the onions and simmer for a few minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with the spoon. Stir in the bacon and beans and bring back to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Nestle the chicken, skin side up, into the beans. Bake, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
* Adapted from Gourmet magazine, December, 2004