Classic Bran Muffins
Easy, classic bran muffin recipe made with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. Bakery quality, moist and without raisins.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt ~ I like Fage
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon ~ Yes, 1 tbsp!
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt ~ I use Diamond Crystal, always
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg, freshly grated or like me ~ not
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter (1½ sticks), room temp, very soft ~ leave out overnight, if you can, needs to be very soft
Preheat oven to 350º
Put wheat bran in large measuring cup and pour boiling water over it, stir to combine and let sit 5 minutes, then stir in the Greek yogurt and eggs, mix well.
Meanwhile, place all dry ingredients in a bowl ~ flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg ~ and whisk to combine.
Transfer dry mixed ingredients to bowl of stand mixer and add the really soft butter. Mix on low speed until butter is fully incorporated.
Add the bran mixture and mix until just combined. Remove bowl from stand and with spatula, make sure batter is fully mixed in from the bottom.
Evenly fill well-buttered muffin tin with batter, each of the 12 cups will be pretty full. The batter rises and puffs but does not spread. Bake in center of oven until firm, about 18 - 22 minutes. Pop muffins out to wire rack and serve warm with lots of butter. Store remaining muffins for 2 days or freeze.
If you really want raisins, you can fold 1 cup into the finished batter. You can also sprinkle some flaxseed on the muffins just prior to baking.
*My preference, is plain ~ no additions!! 😜