Instant Pot Collard Greens
Instant Pot collard greens, easy southern style collards in under an hour, with smoky ham and tasty pot liquor to soak up with cornbread!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 4 cups homemade turkey stock or chicken stock low sodium store bought is fine
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 meaty ham shanks See notes below
- 1 pound collard greens, washed thoroughly, hard stems removed, and coarsely chopped
Heat olive oil on sauté setting. When hot, add chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes to soften then add garlic, cook for 30 seconds more. Turn off sauté function.
Add the stock, apple cider vinegar, sugar and crushed red pepper; stir to combine. Season with a little salt and pepper. Lay in the ham shanks and cover the top with chopped collard greens. Push down the collards to submerge, be careful to stay below the fill line.
Seal pressure cooker and set timer for 30 minutes on high pressure. When finished, let pot naturally release for 15 minutes. Release any remaining pressure and open, remove ham shanks and bones to board. Cut meat into bite size pieces and return to pot. Put in serving bowl with cooking liquid and serve. Don't forget the cornbread!
- I like to use ham shanks and that's what I recommend. Ham hocks add a lot of flavor but yield very little meat. Use ham shanks here.
- I use a 6-quart Instant Pot for this recipe (and all my Instant Pot recipes).
- You could use pre-packaged chopped collard greens, if you like. I believe they come in 16-ounce bags.
- I definitely recommend serving with cornbread to sop up the pot liquor. If desired, serve the cooking liquid on the side in little individual bowls.