Turkey Sloppy Joes
Quick and easy homemade sloppy joes made with ground turkey and chili sauce.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey a mix of light and dark turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle chili sauce like Heinz brand
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 hamburger buns, regular or with sesame seeds, or brioche buns
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Pat ground turkey dry and add to skillet in one piece. Let brown without moving or breaking up for about 5 minutes. Flip turkey and brown the other side for a few minutes and then start breaking up with a wooden spoon, until all meat is browned and crumbled.
Add onion and green pepper, continue cooking until softened, about 3 to 4 more minutes. Add garlic and cook and stir about 30 seconds.
Stir in chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, chili powder, brown sugar and salt. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often.
Taste for salt and pepper. See note below if mixture seems too thick. Spoon on buns and serve. Enjoy with pickles, chips or whatever your heart desires!
- If mixture seems too dry as prepared, you can add a little ketchup. I never have, but that's what MJ says to do.
- You can definitely make this recipe with ground beef instead of turkey, if you like.
- My serving preference is sesame seed buns and bread and butter pickle slices. Yum!