Southern Tomato Pie
Classic Southern tomato pie, a savory summer pie with seasonal tomatoes and basil topped with a creamy cheese mixture and baked until golden brown in a flaky pie crust shell.
Servings 6 people
- 1 9-inch frozen deep dish pie shell
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks about 3 to 4 cups
- ¾ cup good quality mayonnaise I like Duke's
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Large handful of fresh basil, chopped or thinly sliced (chiffonade) about ¼ cup
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400º.
Follow package directions to bake pie shell; prick bottom all over of sllghtly thawed shell, bake for 10 to 20 minutes until browned.
Meanwhile, place tomatoes in colander and sprinkle with salt. Let drain, tossing several times. Then with paper towels, press down to blot up even more of the liquid.
In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and cheeses until combined well.
Turn oven down to 375º .
Place tomatoes in baked pie shell, add sliced or chopped basil and gently mix. Season with salt and pepper. Top with mayonnaise-cheese mixture and spread evenly over the top.
Bake in center of oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top. Cool at least 20 to 30 minutes or longer. Slice and serve, warm or at room temperature.
- Make sure to drain the tomatoes, extracting as much juice as possible.
- Grate the cheese yourself, it melts better. That said, prepackaged shredded cheese will work, too.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, make sure to let it cool at least 20 minutes or longer.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 515kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 555mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1091IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 246mg | Iron: 1mg