Insalata Caprese with Basil Vinaigrette
Summer salad of fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes, over mixed greens with a fresh basil vinaigrette.
- 3 - 5 heirloom tomatoes, different colors and sizes, thickly sliced
- 1 - 2 balls, fresh mozzarella, drained and thickly sliced
- Mixed baby lettuces
- ½ cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 garlic clove, chopped, preferably heirloom from the farm stand
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
Scatter a serving platter with mixed baby lettuces. Arrange overlapping layers of tomatoes and mozzarella on top of the lettuces. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Put olive oil, vinegar, water, chopped garlic, mustard and salt into a blender. Coarsely chop the basil leaves and add to the blender. Mix on high for about 30 seconds until smooth. If necessary, add a little more water or olive oil to thin. Transfer to a jar.
With a spoon, drizzle basil vinaigrette all over tomato and cheese salad. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves and serve. Leftover vinaigrette will keep covered in the fridge for several days, bring to room temp for serving.
Do not store fresh basil in the refrigerator, it will turn brown. Snip stem ends and place in a glass of water. Set on counter, loosely covered with a plastic bag.