Country Green Beans, Potatoes and Ham in the Instant Pot
Country-style green beans in the pressure cooker with potatoes and smoky ham. Slow cooked flavor in under an hour in the Instant Pot.
- 1½ cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 small, meaty ham shank pieces
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1¼ - 1½ lbs fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped in half
- 8 small red or yellow new potatoes, peeled, cut in halves or quarters (or 3 medium/large potatoes, peeled, cut into small chunks)
- 1 tbsp butter, divided
Place chicken stock in pressure cooker and add seasonings, stir to combine. Place ham shanks in seasoned broth, seal pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then manually release any remaining pressure.
Carefully open pressure cooker. Add the chopped onion and then scatter half the potatoes over mixture, followed by half the green beans. Place half the pat of butter on top. Add remaining potatoes, followed by remaining green beans and pat of butter on top. Seal and cook under high pressure for 5 minutes.
Release pressure manually and carefully open pressure cooker. Spoon green beans and potatoes into serving bowl while removing ham shank pieces/bones to cutting board. Cut/shred meat off the ham bones and add to green beans and potatoes. Spoon or pour cooking broth over green beans and potatoes and serve. Enjoy.
- I like to use ham shanks in this recipe. Use 3 small, meaty pieces. You could also use a ham hock or piece of ham.
- I like adding just a smidge of liquid smoke for added flavor but you can certainly omit it.
- And lastly, you can play around with the amounts of green beans and potatoes, just don't overfill the pressure cooker.