Roasted Fresh Tomato Bisque
Homemade tomato soup using fresh roasted seasonal tomatoes and garden basil, finished off with a little cream.
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes (garden variety, heirlooms, or a mix)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of sugar (maybe 1 tsp)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth or stock
- Several leaves fresh basil, about 1 tbsp chopped, and chiffonade for serving
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tomatoes in half and arrange on a baking sheet. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
Heat olive oil in heavy dutch oven or soup pot. Add onion and cook until just translucent. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in sugar and tomato paste and continue cooking another minute or so.
Carefully add roasted tomatoes and their juices, stir and cook, breaking up tomatoes with wooden spoon. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a steady simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in about 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil. Carefully insert immersion blender into pot and process until smooth.
Taste for salt and pepper. Stir in heavy cream and heat through. Serve, topped with fresh basil and grilled cheese for dipping.