Thai Sweet Potato Curry with Skillet Chicken
Thai sweet potato curry paired with skillet curried chicken thighs makes for a warm and spicy easy dinner.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time45 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr
Course: Main Course, Side Dish
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 (14-oz) can coconut milk
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in large dice
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro more for garnish
- 1 lime, zest and juice more for garnish
Preheat oven to 400º and prepare chicken. In small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add 2 tablespoons red curry paste, cook for a minute or two to soften, cool slightly. Pat chicken thighs dry and season with salt and pepper. Rub curry mixture all over chicken and under skin.
Heat large cast iron skillet or other oven proof pan over medium high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook and sear chicken thighs starting with skin side down until lightly browned, being careful not to burn, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to oven, skin side up and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until done.
Meanwhile, make sweet potatoes. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in medium sauce pan. Add ¼ cup red curry paste and brown sugar. Stir and caramelize for a couple minutes. Whisk in coconut milk until smooth, add sweet potatoes and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro, lime juice and zest. Taste for seasonings.
When chicken is done, garnish with more chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Serve with curried sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
- My lime was on the large size so I started with the juice from just half and then tasted and added a little more.
- A squeeze of fresh lime is a nice finishing touch on the chicken.
- The amount of red curry paste of the brand I used was just right for our spicy taste level. You can add more, up to a half cup total or slightly less, depending on the brand and spice level. Keep the brown sugar amount the same.
- Trim the chicken thighs of any excess fat but keep the skin on.
- Don't worry if the curry mixture is challenging to rub on the chicken, just smear it on and it will be fine.
Calories: 535kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 160mg | Potassium: 689mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 18783IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2mg