Classic Italian Tiramisu
How to make tiramisu, an easy and traditional recipe with coffee-dipped ladyfingers and mascarpone cream for an authentic Italian dessert.
Prep Time1 hour hr
Chill Overnight12 hours hrs
Total Time13 hours hrs
Servings: 8 servings
- 1½ cups strong brewed coffee or espresso
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 package Italian Savoiardi ladyfingers, about 18-20 ladyfingers
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder I like Hershey's Special Dark 100% cacao
Combine coffee and rum in shallow dish, set aside.
Place separated egg yolks and whites in separate bowls. Combine the yolks and sugar and beat with hand mixer until pale yellow and thick and almost doubled in volume. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix until well combined.
Beat egg whites in stand mixer fitted with whisk, or hand mixer, on high speed until stiff peaks form. Peaks should stick to beaters when they are pulled up. Gently fold stiffly beaten egg whites into mascarpone mixture and mix to just combine.
Dust bottom of 8" square glass dish with 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. Dip ladyfingers one at a time in coffee mixture, turning quickly to soak each side and arranging sugar-side up in dish (as shown in above photos). Top layer of ladyfingers with ½ the mascarpone cream and spread evenly. Repeat with another layer of coffee-dipped ladyfingers and spread remaining mascarpone cream over top.
Dust top evenly with remaining cocoa powder and refrigerate several hours to overnight. Scoop out with a spoon or cut in squares to serve. Enjoy!
- Dip ladyfingers quickly, soaking both sides and arranging with the sugar side up.
- Use strong brewed coffee or espresso for best flavor.
- Crunchy ladyfingers are best, rather than soft.
- For best results whipping egg whites until stiff peaks form, make sure to separate carefully with no trace of yolk.
- Tastes best after refrigerating 12 to 24 hours.
Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 624IU | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1mg