Orange Sherbet Jello
Old fashioned orange jello salad with orange gelatin, orange sherbet and mandarin oranges, a family favorite holiday side.
- 1 6-ounce box orange gelatin or two 3-ounce boxes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges, drain and save the juice if necessary, add water to reserved juice to make 1 cup
- 1 pint (2 cups) orange sherbet, softened
In medium bowl, add orange gelatin powder and then 2 cups boiling water, stir until dissolved. Add 1 cup of reserved mandarin orange juice and combine.
Add the softened orange sherbet by spoonfuls, stirring until melted.
Lightly spray a jello mold (I used a Bundt pan) or serving bowl with nonstick spray. Pour gelatin mixture into mold or bowl, gently scatter orange segments over and into mixture.
Refrigerate overnight until well set. Turn mold out onto a serving plate or scoop and serve out of the bowl. Enjoy!
- Add enough water to the reserved mandarin orange juice to make 1 cup.
- I find it best to add the softened sherbet by spoonfuls, not all at once. Stir after each spoonful to melt. By the spoonfuls cuts down on excess foam.
- If using a mold, run a knife or spatula to loosen the sides, place plate on top and gently invert to flip it over. You can also place the bottom of the mold in hot water for a few seconds to help it ease out.