Wild Rice Chicken Salad
Nutty wild rice, tender chicken, grapes and almonds combined in a light lemony dressing.
Servings: 6 servings
- ¾ cup uncooked wild rice
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup milk whole or lowfat
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice from 2 to 3 lemons
- ½ cup chopped green onions white and pale green parts
- 2½ cups cooked cubed chicken or turkey
- 1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ pound seedless red or green grapes, halved
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Rinse wild rice under cold water, place in medium saucepan with water and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 30 - 45 minutes (up to an hour). Drain and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, milk, lemon juice and green onion until well combined. Add the wild rice, chicken, water chestnuts and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours or overnight.
Just before serving, add the halved grapes and toasted almond slivers, gently toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve on lettuce and enjoy!
- I bake skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts in the oven rubbed with a little olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Depending on size, about 35 to 45 minutes, at 350º until done. Let cool, discard skin and bones and cube.
- Toast the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet at 350º for 7 to 8 minutes.
- You can also use turkey instead of chicken, if desired.
Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 14g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 608mg | Potassium: 506mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 197IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 2mg