Easy Refried Beans
Easy creamy refried beans made with canned pinto beans, onion, garlic and bacon drippings.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings/grease or lard or corn oil
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 (16-oz.) can pinto beans, undrained
- ¼ cup water
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Crumbled queso fresco, for serving
Heat bacon drippings in medium-large skillet. Add onions and stir and cook until softened and starting to brown. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add 1 can of pinto beans ~ do not rinse or drain ~ and ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer and then mash with a potato masher to desired consistency, about 7 to 10 minutes until pretty smooth and thickened up.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a little queso fresco crumbled on top.
- Cook beans to desired consistency, but keep in mind they will thicken upon standing and cooling.
- Can use lard or corn oil instead of bacon grease.