Braised Red Cabbage
Sweet and sour braised red cabbage, with vinegar and grape jelly. A great side dish at the holidays, especially Easter, or even Oktoberfest.
- 1 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour, approx.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4-5 teaspoons sugar
- A little cinnamon, a pinch maybe??
- ½ (12-ounce) small jar grape jelly
Put shredded cabbage into large pot and add 1 cup water. Cover with lid, and "steam" until tender but not mushy, stirring occasionally.
Add 1 T oil and sprinkle with flour, about 2 T. Mix to combine well, and cook a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cinnamon, vinegar and sugar. Stir to combine, then add ½ jar grape jelly. Stir well until jelly has melted and sauce is thick. Taste and adjust seasonings.