Sweet and sour braised red cabbage, with vinegar and grape jelly. A great side dish at the holidays, especially Easter, or even Oktoberfest.
Happy Good Friday! That means Easter is Sunday. No big dinner this year, the kids are all busy with their spring break plans and Meathead and I are busy packing, we move next week. Yikes! I think sides are the best part of holiday meals, and this red cabbage is one of my favorites for Easter.
I got this recipe from my aunt, a great cook, who had this on her holiday table many a time. She gave me the recipe years ago and I love it. The kids, not so much. I just make it for Meathead and me.
Red cabbage is easy to make and this version is...traditional? German? Bohemian? Danish? I don't really know, it's just good. It's sweet and tangy, with vinegar and sugar, and a little cinnamon and grape jelly. Yep, grape jelly. Is this common? Anyone else make it this way? Just curious.
How to make braised red cabbage
Step 1: Shred cabbage and place in large pot, add water, cover and steam until tender.
Step 2: Add oil, sprinkle with flour and cook a minute or two.
Step 3: Add cinnamon, sugar and vinegar, stir to combine.
Step 4: Add grape jelly and stir until jelly melts and sauce is thick.
This delicious braised red cabbage just screams Easter with its gorgeous purple color. I hope you give it a try, it's so good! Happy Easter, Kelly🍴🐦
Need some more Easter side dish inspiration?
- Cheesy Potatoes are a must around here for every holiday, you can't go wrong with this cheesy hash brown casserole topped with crushed corn flakes.
- Corn Soufflé easy corn casserole with sour cream and corn muffin mix.
- German Potato Salad is a favorite of mine, just like my mother-in-law's with a warm, tangy dressing made with pickle juice.
UPDATED: Originally posted in March, 2016 and updated April 1, 2020 with new photos and copy, no changes to original recipe.
Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour, approx.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4-5 teaspoons sugar
- A little cinnamon, a pinch maybe??
- ½ (12-ounce) small jar grape jelly
- Put shredded cabbage into large pot and add 1 cup water. Cover with lid, and "steam" until tender but not mushy, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 T oil and sprinkle with flour, about 2 T. Mix to combine well, and cook a minute or two. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cinnamon, vinegar and sugar. Stir to combine, then add ½ jar grape jelly. Stir well until jelly has melted and sauce is thick. Taste and adjust seasonings.