How to make simple and fresh perfect guacamole at home. See recipe notes for making homemade chips, a must for perfect guac and chips.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh tomato, seeded
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon grated cotija cheese (or crumbled queso fresco)
- Good quality tortilla chips or make your own! Instructions below.
Spoon the avocado flesh from the skins into a bowl. Lightly chop the avocado with the edge of the spoon, or mash it lightly with a potato masher, it should be chunky.
Add the onion, jalapeño, tomato, lime juice, cilantro, cumin and salt. Stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Transfer guacamole to serving dish, sprinkle with cotija and serve with chips.
Homemade Tortilla Chips:
Cut 12 corn tortillas into 6 wedges each. Use 6-inch yellow or blue tortillas, or both. In medium skillet, heat about ¼ to ½ inch neutral oil, like canola, until hot and shimmering but not smoking. The tortilla wedges should sizzle when they hit the oil. Fry 6 - 8 tortilla pieces at a time for about 2 minutes, until just crisp. Remove to paper towel-lined plate or pan to drain, sprinkle with a little kosher salt while warm. Repeat with all pieces, layering with paper towels and salting.