Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner with roasted vegetables is so easy and delicious for a quick weeknight meal. Vegetables tossed in a flavorful honey mustard sauce and cooked alongside the sausages become tender, sweet and caramelized ~ a winning combination with sausage!
I’m all on board for sheet pan dinners, or tray bakes, but truth be told, I sometimes am a little disappointed. I guess it depends on what it is, some combinations just seem dry or less spectacular in the taste department than I imagined. Not this sausage sheet pan dinner. It is exactly as I want it.
I love fall-type vegetables that are roasted and caramelized. I used potatoes, both regular and sweet, red onion and Brussels sprouts. Just tossed them in a mixture of honey, grainy mustard, olive oil and some seasonings. Simple and tasty, on the pan they go with the sausages.
So I used a fresh sausage that is actually labeled German Sausage. Use any fresh German-style sausage, like bratwurst which is readily found in stores. (I got my fresh German sausages at Costco, in case you were wondering.) The point is, you want fresh, not smoked sausages, and not Italian sausage, either. The flavor profile here is for fresh bratwurst-style sausage. Just sayin’
I also don’t toss and stir the vegetables while they bake, I just flip the sausages halfway through the cooking time. I like the vegetables to just do their thing and caramelize, they seem to get browner when I just leave them alone.
Feel free to experiment some with the vegetables in this sausage sheet pan dinner. Parsnips would be good, so would carrots. The potatoes and Brussels sprouts work for me, it’s just such a good dinner in the cold months. I serve it with an extra swipe of mustard on the side and hope I get some leftovers to reheat the next day. Enjoy this one, it’s a keeper ~ Kelly
If you’ve tried this Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for all the latest updates.
Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- 2 tablespoons creole mustard or any grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh sage and rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs like Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 12 fingerling potatoes, cut in half or other small new potato, like Yukon gold
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 medium red onion, cut in wedges
- 6 fresh German-style sausages, like bratwurst
- Preheat oven to 400º. In large bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, olive oil, seasonings and red pepper. Season with a little kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Add vegetables and toss to coat evenly. Leave any excess behind in bowl and arrange vegetables evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Pierce the sausages several times with tip of sharp knife and place in same bowl as vegetables; toss to coat with any remaining mustard-honey sauce. Arrange on top of vegetables on sheet pan.
- Bake in 400º oven for 40 to 45 minutes, flipping sausages and rotating pan halfway through cooking time. Remove when sausages are browned and cooked through and vegetables are tender and caramelized. Serve and enjoy!
- I like fresh sage and rosemary and still had some growing in my garden well into the fall and winter months. Use about 1 to 2 tablespoons total of these fresh herbs, minced. Or use about 1 teaspoon of dried spices, like Italian seasoning.
- I love fingerling potatoes in this dish but certainly any small new potato will work, like red, white or Yukon gold.
- Play around with the amounts of vegetables, add more sweet potato if you like, or even try parsnips or carrots.
- Lastly, I don't stir the vegetables while they are baking, I just flip the sausages. I like the veggies to just caramelize on their own, I don't touch 'em.