Chocolate Mint Cake, chocolate mint batter baked in a sheet pan, cut in half, then layered with mint cream cheese frosting. The perfect dessert for St. Patrick’s Day!
I may not be known for my baking, but I am kind of famous for my chocolate mint cake. Two layers of chocolate mint cake with mint cream cheese frosting, yes! It’s easy peasy and I make it every year for St. Patrick’s Day.
I clipped this recipe out of a magazine almost 20 years ago, and I’m still making it. Almost every year I put out a big spread for St. Pat’s Day and this is dessert. My good friends and family have come to expect it.
The chocolate cake bakes in a jelly roll pan and then is cut in half crosswise, giving you the two layers. The frosting is a traditional cream cheese frosting with added mint extract. It’s just the right amount of mint, not at all overpowering.
If you like chocolate mint, you will love this cake. Make it for St. Patrick’s Day next week, or make it any time you’re feeling a wee bit Irish. Or what the heck, just make it anytime because it’s so good! And just ignore the crumbs in my frosting, yours will be perfect. 🍀 Kelly
For a traditional St. Patrick’s day feast, try my Corned Beef and Cabbage and Irish Soda Bread recipes. Hey, you might want to check out my Irish Beer Cheese Soup, too! And how to make a Reuben sandwich with any leftover corned beef.
If you’ve tried this Chocolate Mint Cake, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for all the latest updates.
Chocolate Mint Cake
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups whole milk hot
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, hot
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons peppermint extract, divided divided
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese room temp
- 5 cups confectioners sugar sifted
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- Preheat oven to 350º and line a 12x16x1-inch sheet pan with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients.
- Whisk in the hot milk and melted butter, then the eggs and ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract. Whisk until well-combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack.
- Make frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, put the cream cheese and butter. Mix until well combined, scraping down sides as needed. Add the remaining ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract. With machine on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until incorporated, then increase speed and mix until well combined and fluffy.
- Remove cake from pan by running knife around the sides of pan and inverting carefully onto work surface. Peel off paper carefully and then cut cake crosswise in half. Place one half on serving platter, tuck waxed paper underneath edges, and spread with 2 cups frosting. Top with other half and spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Remove paper. Serve room temp and refrigerate leftover cake.