White Christmas Chili, easy white chicken chili with cannellini beans, chicken broth and green chilis. Serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
I’ll say one thing about Minnesota ~ it’s unbelievably cold in the winter, but the people make the best of it and get outside as much as possible. I hated the bitter cold when we lived in St.Paul, really hated it, and the snow that NEVER melted.
But we lived on beautiful Summit Avenue (think F. Scott Fitzgerald) and in the winter they had a snow carving festival/contest that was pretty much in our front yard, on the boulevard. And my house was the “warming” house for our friends and family. I had two pots of chili on the stove ~ one red and one white ~ and my favorite was the White Christmas Chili.
This was around 2000, about 19 years ago. I made a Skater’s Chili, with beef, and I remember it had cinnamon in it. And I made a white chicken chili, called White Christmas Chili ~ love the name.
I have no idea where I got the recipe, it’s jotted down on a piece of scrap paper. I think I got it out of a magazine in a waiting room ~ not wanting to tear it out, I copied it down.
It is super easy and I love the flavor. And it makes a ton, perfect for a crowd or the freezer. Top a bowl with some fresh cilantro and sour cream, oh man, really good.
White Christmas Chili is perfect this time of year and a definite crowd pleaser. Change things up, try white chili instead of red ~ you’ll love this in your cold weather rotation. Happy ❄️ Kelly
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on INSTAGRAM, or give me a follow on FACEBOOK or see what I’m pinning on PINTEREST.
White Christmas Chili
- 8 skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 4 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 2 4½-ounce cans chopped green chilis
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté chicken, onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Stir in chicken broth and then remaining 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with fresh chopped cilantro and sour cream.