White Christmas Chili, easy white chicken chili with cannellini beans, chicken broth and green chilis. Serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro for a warm, cozy bowl of comfort!
I’ll say one thing about Minnesota ~ it’s unbelievably cold in the winter, but the people make the best of it and get outside as much as possible. I hated the bitter cold when we lived in St.Paul, really hated it, and the snow that NEVER melted.
But we lived on beautiful Summit Avenue (think F. Scott Fitzgerald) and in the winter they had a snow carving festival/contest that was pretty much in our front yard, on the boulevard. And my house was the “warming” house for our friends and family. I had two pots of chili on the stove ~ one red and one white ~ and my favorite was this White Christmas Chili.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- onion and garlic
- chicken broth, preferably homemade
- canned cannellini beans
- canned chopped green chiles
- dried spices — oregano, cumin, chili powder, ground cloves, cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
How to make white chicken chili
It’s very simple:
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces and sauté with onions and garlic in a large pot.
- Add the chicken stock, beans, green chiles and spices and simmer for half an hour.
- Serve with fresh, chopped cilantro and sour cream.
I have no idea where I got the recipe almost 25 years ago, it’s jotted down on a piece of scrap paper. I think I got it out of a magazine in a waiting room, maybe Southern Living ~ not wanting to tear it out, I copied it down. It was called White Christmas Chili.
Recipe notes and tips
- This is a really easy recipe to make, especially for a crowd. And it’s freezer friendly. I love having homemade comfort meals in the freezer to pull out all winter long!
- I prefer to use homemade chicken stock, it makes such a difference. I almost always have some in my freezer. If you have it, use it. I usually make Instant Pot chicken stock or I make chicken stock on the stovetop and then freeze in quart-size containers.
White Christmas chicken chili is perfect this time of year and a definite crowd pleaser. Change things up, try white chili instead of red ~ you’ll love this in your cold weather rotation. Kelly🍴🐦
Like chili? Two more favorite’s of mine:
- Classic beef chili served chili mac style, now that’s chili!
- Turkey chili a bit on the healthier side with ground turkey and chunky veggies with a good dose of spiciness!
White Chicken Chili
- 8 skinless, boneless, chicken breast halves
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 4 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 2 4½-ounce cans chopped green chilis
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté chicken, onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Stir in chicken broth and then remaining 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with fresh chopped cilantro and sour cream.