My favorite recipe for classic banana bread, moist and dense with pecans and a sweet crust, easy to make and simply the best!
Let’s start with my usual admission that I don’t bake often and don’t consider myself a skilled baker. I have a knack for homemade pies, but I’m not good in the cookie or quick bread department, or desserts in general. But I occasionally find myself with too many bananas turning brown or black, gotta do something with ’em.
This has been the case as of late, I buy too much of everything, or worse yet, just random purchases based on what’s available that day in the store. So bananas aren’t getting eaten fast enough before they are overripe and disgusting to me. Time to make some banana bread.
This is the recipe I always turn to, I tore it out of Saveur magazine about ten years ago and tossed it in a drawer. And it’s the recipe I dig in said drawer and search for when I want banana bread like mom would make. It’s moist, dense and tender with a sweet crust.
HOW TO MAKE MY FAVORITE BANANA BREAD
Step 1: Mix flour, baking soda and salt in one bowl; whisk oil, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs in another bowl.
Step 2: Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix just to combine. Mix in mashed bananas and pecans.
Step 3: Pour batter into greased and floured pan and bake about an hour. Cool and then slice and serve!
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
- Use very ripe bananas, lots of black spots or almost all black. They mash the best and are the sweetest!
- Buttermilk is key for moistness and adds just a tad of tanginess.
- Pecans are classic but walnuts would work, too.
- Let cool completely then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store on the counter (do not refrigerate) or freeze. It will keep four or five days on the counter, if it even lasts that long!
- Slather with butter for breakfast with a cup of coffee or a snack any time of day.
Easy, classic and most importantly, incredibly moist banana bread for the win. I’m pretty sure this will be your favorite recipe, too. Kelly🍴🐦
You might also like these breakfast and snack treats:
- Pumpkin Praline Bread, moist pumpkin bread with pecan-cinnamon praline topping.
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake, classic coffee cake with cinnamon streusel filling and topping.
Best Banana Bread Recipe
- Butter for greasing pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus more for dusting pan
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9" by 5" loaf pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl and set aside. In another bowl, whisk sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, egg and egg yolk until smooth and combined well. Pour wet ingredients over dry and whisk until just combined. Stir in mashed bananas and pecans, whisking gently to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in center of oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until toothpick inserted in middle of loaf comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes, turn loaf out onto cutting board, slice and serve. Slathered with butter!
- Use very ripe bananas and mash well with a fork or potato masher, you want very smooth, not chunky.
- Store banana bread on counter wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for four or five days, or freeze.
- Can substitute pecans with walnuts.
Adapted from Saveur, February, 2011