The best oven roasted garlicky broccoli with fresh lemon and Parmesan cheese. Super easy and a delicious way to change up your broccoli game.
I love a green vegetable on my dinner plate, and broccoli is a favorite. I often choose to simply steam it and toss with some butter, salt and pepper. You know what? Tossing broccoli in olive oil and roasting it in the oven until charred and crisp tender is even better, especially with some garlic, lemon and Parm!
It’s so easy to make and once you try it this way, you’ll want to make it again and again. You just need fresh broccoli and a few other ingredients you probably already have on hand.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED
Some fresh broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets. Some olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper, fresh lemon juice and zest, and some grated Parmesan cheese.
HOW TO MAKE OVEN ROASTED BROCCOLI
Step 1: Toss florets in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
Step 2: Arrange on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 3: Roast in 425º oven for about 20 minutes until charred and fork tender.
Step 4: Toss in bowl with fresh lemon juice and Parmesan cheese and some more black pepper.
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
- You can definitely play around with the ingredient amounts to taste.
- I like to add the lemon juice after roasting, I think it tastes brighter that way.
- Reheats are fantastic! Almost better, I think. Warm in microwave until hot and the Parmesan is all melty, yumm.
- If you don’t like garlic or the heat of the crushed red pepper, leave it out. It’ll still be good with the olive oil, lemon and Parm.
This roasted garlic lemon Parmesan broccoli is my new favorite way to make broccoli, it puts my steamed version to shame. It’s so dang good, give it a go, you’ll be crazy about it, too! Kelly🍴🐦
Some other vegetable sides we love around here:
- Southern Green Beans with bacon and seasonings, so easy and good.
- Best Brussels Sprouts caramelized in honey and Dijon mustard, all in one pan on the stovetop.
- Garlic Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes special occasion creamy mashed potatoes using a food mill for the best consistency.
- Honey Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots super easy and everyone loves them!
- Cajun Fried Corn sweet summer corn fried in a skillet with butter and Cajun seasonings.
- Spinach Rockefeller creamy spinach baked in a casserole with a browned, crispy topping.
Garlic Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan
- 1½ pounds broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets about two heads of broccoli
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice and zest from ½ lemon, divided or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper or more to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese or to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, toss broccoli florets with olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, crushed red pepper and a sprinkle of salt and pepper until coated. Arrange florets in a single layer, evenly spaced, on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 20 - 25 minutes in middle of oven until lightly charred and fork tender.
- Remove from oven and scrape roasted broccoli back into the bowl and toss with lemon juice and grated Parmesan. Add some more fresh cracked pepper and taste for seasonings. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- You can use more or less broccoli but two heads should be enough for 4 as a side dish and weighs about 1½ pounds.
- Add a little more olive oil if it seems necessary or a little dry.
- Only add the lemon zest before roasting and then the lemon juice after roasting with the Parmesan.
- Feel free to adjust the ingredient amounts to taste, but the measurements given work well and taste balanced.
- Reheat any leftovers in the microwave until hot and the Parm is melted, delicious the next day!