A favorite classic appetizer that everyone loves! Chipped beef dip with cream cheese, Buddig beef, garlic and Worcestershire, perfect for the holidays or game day.
I’m a sucker for anything with cream cheese or sour cream as a key ingredient, and that includes appetizers and dips. My parents and my dad’s side of the family always put out a big bowl of chipped beef dip to snack on and tide everyone over until dinner. I can’t remember a holiday gathering without it. It’s so easy and so good.
I just started making some the past few years for my family and they love it, especially my husband. My mom was here for Thanksgiving and I watched her make it, no measuring, just eyeballing everything. It’s that kind of recipe.
Ingredients for this party dip
Just a few ingredients needed for this simple cream cheese-based dip:
- Cream cheese
- Buddig brand smoked and pressed beef
- Garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- A little milk to thin consistency so it’s spreadable
How to make chipped beef dip
Just as easy to make as the ingredients are to gather.
- Thinly slice beef into strips and then chop, set aside.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature, then place in mixing bowl. Add garlic powder and a couple dashes of Worcestershire and mix well with a fork. Add a little milk and mix to thin and soften consistency.
- Toss in the chopped beef and combine well. Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed. I add a little fresh cracked pepper, my mom does not.
- Transfer to a pretty serving bowl, add a little dip knife and serve with crackers.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- The cream cheese needs to be really soft to work with, I take it out several hours before making.
- You could garnish it with some sliced green onions before serving, I don’t, but you can if you want.
- This is a cold chipped beef dip but you can also make a version that is baked and served hot. It usually has scallions and pecans in it or on top. Here’s a recipe to check out for a warm version of this dip and another hot version with pecans.
- We keep the dip out and at room temp for the duration and serve with assorted crackers or corn chips.
This dip is definitely an old-school party appetizer and favorite for the holidays, game day, potluck or any large gathering where snacks are involved. It’s the classic appetizer to graze on that everyone loves! Enjoy, Kelly🍴🐦
Other easy appetizers for a crowd to try:
Chipped Beef Dip
- 2 (2-ounce) packages Buddig brand smoked, pressed beef
- 1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened at room temp
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or more to taste
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce or to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Slice pressed beef into thin strips and then chop into smallish squares or cut into ½-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In bowl, place softened cream cheese and add garlic powder and Worcestershire and combine well with a fork. Add milk, a little at a time, to soften consistency for ease of spreadability. Add chopped beef and combine well. Taste for seasonings, adding a little salt and pepper, if desired.
- Transfer to a pretty serving bowl, add a little cocktail serving knife and serve with assorted crackers or jumbo corn chips. Enjoy!
- Room temp cream cheese is a must.
- Recipe can easily be doubled.
- Can add more chopped beef, if desired. I'd say 4 to 6 ounces is about right.
- Serving size varies, expect 8 to 10 servings, depends who can't stop eating it all!