Creamy cucumber salad, a refreshing summer salad with seasonal cucumbers and onions in a simple sweet and tangy sour cream dressing.
Summertime produce is the best! I love farmer’s markets, fruit and vegetable stands, and neighbors who give me fresh stuff from their gardens. So far this summer I’ve been gifted cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, habanero peppers, sweet banana peppers and some roma tomatoes from a neighbor. Nice score to compliment my potted herb and tomato garden.
When I was growing up, my mom often made a creamy cucumber salad in the summer. I loved it, sweet and tangy and creamy and so fresh tasting. This is my version of that simple seasonal salad.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Cucumbers, ideally home or locally grown
- Some sweet onion
- Sour cream
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dill, fresh from your garden if you have it!
- Salt and pepper
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step1: Slice the cucumbers and onions thinly and place in large bowl.
Step 2: Whisk together the dressing in a separate bowl.
Step 3: Pour dressing over cucumbers and onions, toss to combine well. Cover and refrigerate.
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
- Any seasonal cucumbers work, I scooped out the seeds because there were so many in mine, I also peeled them. Do what you like, seeds don’t matter and neither does the skin (except if they are store bought with the waxy coating, then I would peel them).
- You can use white vinegar if you prefer that over cider vinegar.
- Any onion will do, I prefer local onions from the farm market or sweet onion, like Vidalia.
- Definitely adjust seasonings to taste, more or less vinegar, more or less sugar. The amounts given are my best starting point for a balanced tasting dressing.
- I use dried dill weed but you can use fresh if you have it!
- I tossed in some thinly sliced sweet banana peppers because I had some and it was a perfect addition. Snipped chives from my herb garden would be good, too.
Such an easy salad to make, right? It’s creamy but light and refreshing, and it’s the perfect summer side dish. Nothing like homegrown seasonal cucumbers and this is a delicious way to use them up. Enjoy, Kelly🍴🐦
Looking for more summer side dishes?
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad is always a hit for summer gatherings and BBQ’s.
- Caprese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette is a perfect salad for those tomatoes and sweet basil of summer.
- Summer Squash Casserole creamy, cheesy and comforting side dish using summer yellow squash.
- Country Greens and Potatoes and ham made easy in the Instant Pot, with tasty pot likker to soak up with cornbread.
- Cajun Southern Fried Corn in the skillet with summer sweet corn, butter and Cajun seasoning.
- Fried Green Tomatoes are a Southern classic, served with homemade spicy rémoulade sauce.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 large cucumbers about 1½ to 2 pounds
- ½ medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed or minced fresh dill, 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Peel and halve the cucumbers lengthwise. If necessary, scoop out the seeds and slice thinly crosswise. Place in large bowl and add sliced onions.
- In separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, cider vinegar, sugar and dill until sugar is dissolved. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to cucumber and onions, toss well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or longer, stirring occasionally. Serve and enjoy!
- It's totally fine not to peel or seed the cucumbers, it's a personal preference.
- Regular white vinegar can be substituted for the apple cider vinegar.
- Fresh dill can be used instead of dry, you'll need more of it, adjust to taste.