Healthy and easy ground pork and cabbage stir-fry in a Whole30 and Paleo compliant stir-fry sauce. Comes together quickly, all in one skillet for a delicious weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
We started off the new year with a much needed reset, hence our second round of Whole30. We felt so good that we extended it another month and now we continue to be a little more mindful of what we’re eating.
My husband loves cabbage, me too, so I threw together this ground pork and cabbage dish one night and we ended up loving it. I think I’ve been making it weekly ever since. It’s so easy and needs just a few ingredients I usually have on hand.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Aromatics garlic and onion.
- Ground pork or ground beef, I like either one, my husband prefers it with pork. You can even use ground turkey or chicken.
- Green cabbage roughly cut, half of a head is usually plenty.
- Simple Whole30 stir-fry sauce with coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger and almond butter.
HOW TO MAKE PORK AND CABBAGE STIR FRY
- Chop the cabbage and make the sauce, set aside.
- Sauté the onions and garlic, add the ground pork and brown and break up until cooked through.
- Add the cabbage, stir and cook until crisp-tender.
- Pour in the sauce, stir to combine and cook a few more minutes. Done!
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
- You can use ground beef instead of ground pork and I do not drain after browning, I don’t think you need to, there’s not much fat in either and the meat juices are too good to discard. Ground turkey or chicken will work, too, but will be much milder in taste.
- Stir fry the cabbage to your liking as tender as you like, I go for crisp-tender with a little crunch to it.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and/or chopped cilantro if you have it, it’s a nice finishing touch.
I wanted to share this pork and cabbage stir-fry because it’s so delicious and you don’t have to be doing a Whole30 to enjoy it. And it checks the box for quick and easy, it really has become a weekly favorite in our kitchen. xxo- Kelly🍴🐦
You might also like this braised cabbage and potato side dish, also Whole30 compliant.
Pork and Cabbage Stir-Fry
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste comes in a tube
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
Pork and Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground pork or ground beef
- ½ small green cabbage, chopped about 4 to 6 cups
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt, cook until starting to soften, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add garlic, cook and stir about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add ground pork and stir and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon until no longer pink, about 5 minutes or so.
- Toss in all of the chopped cabbage and a sprinkle of salt. Cook and stir until combined and then stir frequently until cabbage is crisp tender, about 8 minutes or so.
- Lower heat to medium and stir in the sauce, cook and stir another 2 to 4 minutes. Taste for seasonings and adjust for salt, pepper and/or hot sauce.
- Recipe works equally well with ground beef.
- Ginger paste comes in a tube, usually in spice aisle or refrigerated in the produce section.
- I eyeball the cabbage amount, usually a half head of cabbage is plenty.
- If desired, garnish with green onions and cilantro and serve with cauliflower rice.