How to make a delicious honey lavender latte at home, with an easy homemade lavender-infused simple syrup and oat milk. So ridiculously simple and as good as your favorite coffee house version, but without the fancy equipment.
I really enjoy taking a break and grabbing my laptop and heading to my favorite bakery/café to get some work done. Change of scenery does wonders. But I haven't been able to do that since the before time, among other things, so I figured out how to at least enjoy my favorite special coffee at home.
The café I love to work at has the best honey lavender lattes and I immediately got hooked on them. When I could no longer enjoy my work respites at the bakery, I set out to make my favorite special latte at home. It's so easy to make the simple syrup and frothing is taken care of with a mason jar. And I use oat milk. Easy peasy.
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED
- Culinary lavender buds I buy at my local spice shop.
- Honey, sugar and water
- Strong coffee I use either my French press or Moka Pot.
- Oat milk is my favorite, it's creamy and froths well, but any milk will work.
- Mason jar with lid and screw cap for mixing and frothing.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY LAVENDER SYRUP
I was first inspired by my blogger friend Sara of A Flavor Journal to make my own honey lavender syrup. Her honey simple syrup doesn't use sugar, just honey and fresh lavender leaves or dried buds and you might like her version, too. Be sure to check out her awesome cocktails made with various flavored simple syrups.
- Bring the lavender and water to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Add honey and sugar, keep simmering and stirring until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let steep and cool for an hour or two.
- Strain syrup into a jar.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY LAVENDER OAT MILK LATTES
This is where the mason jar comes in handy. I've been frothing milk for coffee this way for years, see one of my very first blog posts for café au lait. Now I just shake and mix all of it in the jar. I've had an espresso maker in the past and used the attached frother all the time. I also just received a handheld frothing gadget with my new French press and it's cool but I accomplish the same thing with the mason jar.
Also, I don't like a lot of foam in my lattes. I'm the one who orders a latte with no foam. I like a creamy, light froth. The mason jar method is perfect. I also add a scoop of collagen peptides to my honey lavender latte and this method ensures it's mixed in completely. I'm also oat milk all the way.
- Place oat milk and honey lavender syrup in jar and heat in microwave.
- Add coffee and place lid and screw cap on jar, cover with a dish towel (because it's hot!).
- Shake well to mix and froth, carefully remove cap and pour into cup, whipped cream is optional!
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
- Adjust amounts to your liking This latte is perfect for me but you can definitely add more or less syrup, coffee or oat milk to your taste. This recipe is a good starting point and tastes just like my café's, they even gave me tips about the amounts.
- Any milk will work but my preference is oat milk, it's creamy and froths well. I've used almond milk and regular lowfat milk, 1% or 2%. I don't recommend whole milk or half and half.
- I take care of mixing and frothing in a mason jar, it's quick and easy. If you have another preferred frothing method, go for it!
- Shake the jar carefully and I highly recommend the dish towel because it can be very hot!
- This recipe makes about 1½ cups of the honey lavender syrup, store in the fridge for up to two weeks, although I'm sure it will be gone by then. Gently shake the jar back and forth once to mix again before each use.
OTHER WAYS TO USE HONEY LAVENDER SYRUP
Try using the syrup in other things you'd use honey in:
- Baked goods, as an ingredient or to moisten cakes. Try it as the simple sugar to drizzle over baklava!
- Savory dishes as part of the marinade, especially good with chicken.
I hope you give this honey lavender oat milk latte a try, you'll feel like a topnotch barista at home! They hit the spot any time of day and are so, so easy. xo- Kelly🍴🐦
Honey Lavender Oat Milk Latte
For Honey Lavender Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender buds culinary lavender
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup sugar
For Oat Milk Lattes
- 4 ounces oat milk or any milk
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) honey lavender syrup
- 6 ounces strong brewed coffee
- Optional: whipped cream and lavender buds, for serving
To make the syrup:
- Bring the water and lavender to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add the honey and sugar, keep simmering and stirring until completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let steep and cool completely, about an hour.
- Strain lavender into a jar for storing.
To make a honey lavender latte:
- Pour oat milk and honey lavender syrup into a mason jar and heat in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Add the coffee and place lid and screw cap on tightly. Using a dish cloth, shake well to combine and froth.
- Pour into cup and garnish with a scant sprinkling of lavender buds and, if desired, whipped cream for a treat!
- Makes about 1½ cups of honey lavender syrup.
- Store in fridge for up to two weeks.
- Gently shake the syrup before each use in case of any settling.
- Adjust amounts to suit your taste, this is a really good guideline for one latte. Feel free to add more or less syrup, coffee or oat milk.