Classic margaritas, simply just good tequila, fresh lime juice and Cointreau. Salt the rim and sit back and enjoy.
Anyone who knows me knows I’m a wine drinker. You think? But I also like a good margarita when we’re out for Mexican. And I do mean good, not a glass of glowing green sour mix. I’m also not too fond of sweet, fruity frozen concoctions either. And what’s up with the sizes?? Meathead always orders one the size of a fishbowl.
I decided to try something different at home and the cocktail I chose was a margarita, a classic margarita. I’m by no means a tequila expert nor a margarita expert but I do know what tastes real and good and, well, just right.
Here’s what you need: good tequila, fresh lime juice, Cointreau and a rocks glass. And kosher salt and a shaker. That’s it. Rule of thumb: 3 parts tequila, 2 parts lime juice, 1 part Cointreau.
No mix, no sugar ~ not needed. Some will use Triple Sec instead of Cointreau, your preference, Triple Sec costs a lot less. I like Cointreau.
I can’t find my shot glass, and many, many other things, from the move. A good starting point would be an ounce and a half of tequila. So let’s say tablespoons, shall we? Is my mixology weird? It works.
Also, I read somewhere to salt the rim on the outside only. You don’t want salt on the inside of the glass. Just sayin’.
So, that’s it, a classic margarita. Perfect sipping on a hot day on the front porch with some guac and chips. Cheers, Kelly
If you’ve tried these Classic Margaritas, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for all the latest updates.
- 3 tablespoons good tequila ~ I used a reposado
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges, to salt the rim and for garnish
- Salt rocks glasses. Rub wedge of lime around rim of glass. Fill small plate with kosher salt and coat outside of rim with salt. Wipe away any that gets on the inside. Fill glass with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker about halfway with ice. Add tequila, lime juice and Cointreau. Attach cap and shake until well blended. Pour/strain into salted glass and garnish with a lime wedge. Cheers🍹