Don’t you love grilling season? Although, truth be told, we grill outside year round. I recently made shrimp on the grill to go with some grilled corn salad I had just made. It was really good and so easy. I continued on with the spicy theme and used a hot honey and lime marinade for the shrimp. Loved it. Grilled shrimp skewers are now in my rotation.
I buy frozen shrimp by the 2-pound bag at Costco, I think they are really good. They’re peeled and deveined and ready to go, I just have to take the tails off. I guess you could leave them on, but why? These are not for eating by hand ~ I just don’t prefer the tails left on the shrimp in an entrée. Tiny little rant there ~ we’re still good, right?
Just coat the shrimp in a simple honey-lime mixture, thread on wooden skewers and toss on the grill for about five minutes. Done! Great flavor, perfect for summer and goes so well with all the farm fresh veggies this time of year. These grilled shrimp would also be great for tacos ~ I think I’ll try that next time.
Hope you’re enjoying these last days of summer, it’s back to school already here in Missouri, I swear it gets earlier each year! Try making these grilled shrimp skewers, you’ll likey ~ I promise ?
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, tails removed (about 32)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 small garlic clove, minced I used a microplane
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely minced grilled jalapeño, or canned chipotles in adobo sauce (I used the charred jalapeño from the corn salad I made)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped for serving
- 4 wooden skewers
- Soak the wooden skewers in water while you prepare the shrimp. In a medium bowl combine honey, lime juice and zest, minced garlic, cayenne, jalapeño and a sprinkle of salt. Mix well and add shrimp, toss gently to coat. Let sit for 10 or 15 minutes. (The lime juice which is acidic will "cook" the shrimp slightly, that's okay)
- Heat grill. Thread 8 shrimp on each skewer like shown in the photos. Lightly brush each side with melted butter. On a medium hot grill, place skewers and grill 2 to 3 minutes on the first side. Turn skewers and grill another 2 minutes. Try not to overcook, 4 to 5 minutes is plenty on a hot grill. Remove, sprinkle with salt, pepper and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!