Flank steak marinated overnight in a simple and tasty soy sauce-honey-garlic marinade, then grilled to perfection the next day. Serve with creamy lime sauce.
If I’m making flank steak, chances are it’s summertime, friends are coming over for a casual dinner, or I’m having a summer party for some reason, like the Fourth. I used to make grilled flank steak all the time, back in the day. I had to search for it, but I found and dusted off my recipe for Marinated Grilled Flank Steak and made it for my family, for no particular reason. It’s just really good and really easy.
An old neighbor in Chicago ~ here I go again with Chicagoans giving me recipes! But that’s where I got this marinade recipe. I have the printed copy from her and I also found a newspaper clipping of the same recipe. I’ve made it so many times, you’d think I knew it by heart. But it’s been awhile ~ glad I found the recipe.
Flank steak is so easy on the grill. Just mix up the marinade, pour it over the meat and pop it in the fridge overnight. The marinade gives it so much flavor, all you have to do is throw it on the grill and slice it up. I made a creamy lime dipping sauce for the steak, which, by the way, would also be good to drizzle on the meat and wrap up in a warm flour tortilla. We just put a dollop on our plates and dipped ~ pretty tasty.
I’m not too thrilled with these photos, I have a hard time shooting steak. It also looks a little too well done, but it’s actually medium. I told Meathead that and he just looked at me like, what’s wrong? It’s fantastic! A little more rare next time, please. Marinated Flank Steak on the grill, it doesn’t get any easier or tastier than that. Well, except maybe my Grilled Shrimp with Chimichurri Sauce. Happy Summer! Best, Kelly
If you’ve tried this Marinated Grilled Flank Steak, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for all the latest updates.
Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
- 2 (1½-pound) flank steaks
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 scallion, trimmed and finely chopped
Creamy Lime Sauce:
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Score the flank steaks; make light diagonal slashes in diamond shapes on each side of meat. Place flank steaks in large baking dish (I used a 9" X 13" glass baking dish).
- In large bowl, combine soy sauce, honey and red wine vinegar until honey dissolves. Add garlic powder and ginger, mix, then add oil and scallion, mix well. Pour marinade over meat, flip steaks to cover completely. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 - 12 hours, or overnight, turning occasionally.
- At least one hour before serving, make the creamy lime sauce; whisk together all ingredients and cover and chill.
- Bring steaks to room temperature for about half an hour, then heat grill to medium. Remove flank steaks from marinade and grill about 6 minutes a side for medium doneness. To serve, slice thinly on the diagonal, with creamy lime sauce on the side.
- Depending on appetites, this serves 8 - 10.
- I used low-sodium soy sauce.
- I'm pretty sure my Chicago friend got this recipe from Southern Living, over 20 years ago. I couldn't find it online to provide a credit/link.
* Adapted from Southern Living, many, many years ago (I think!)