Let me start by saying that chicken thighs are big in our house. We. Eat. All. The. Time. Does any one get sick of chicken? Yes, the kids do but never, ever, Meathead, he could eat chicken every day. I’m always looking for ways to throw chicken on the grill or in the oven. These Greek Baked Chicken Thighs are so good and, of course, baked with potatoes.
Everything goes in one casserole dish and into the oven. Thinly sliced potatoes, chicken thighs, a simple Greek vinaigrette, lemons, garlic and some fresh herbs. I used Greek oregano, rosemary and sage, all from my little summertime herb garden. So simple and delicious.
I know it’s summer and hot, but this is so good any time of year. I can’t grill everything!! Well, I could, and do, but this is worth turning the oven on for. And the leftovers the next day, I can’t even. Enjoy the rest of summer.
Best, KellyPrint Recipe
Greek Baked Chicken Thighs
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice ~ save the lemon(s) and use for wedges
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning (or dried oregano and thyme)
- Pinch Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Olive oil
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced ~ I used a mandolin and sliced about ⅛-inch thick and I didn't peel the potatoes
- 1 to 2 large shallots, thinly sliced ~ I always have shallots on hand, if you don't, no worries, use some thinly sliced onion instead 😉
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 4 to 6 lemon quarters ~ from the lemons you juiced
- 4 to 6 sprigs fresh herbs, such as rosemary, oregano and sage, or any combo, but these work well
- Preheat oven to 375º. Sprinkle chicken thighs all over with salt and pepper and set aside
- Make vinaigrette. In small bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil in bottom of a large casserole dish. Cover bottom of dish with the potato slices, overlapping and layering if needed. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with the sliced shallots.
- Arrange the chicken thighs, skin side up, over the potatoes. Wedge the garlic cloves and lemon wedges between the chicken pieces. Tuck sprigs of fresh herbs around the border, between the chicken and the side of the dish. Whisk vinaigrette again and spoon over the chicken thighs, making sure each piece is well coated.
- Bake uncovered for about 50 - 60 minutes, until chicken is well-browned and cooked through. Pierce potatoes with small knife to check for tenderness. If they need more time, remove chicken and cook potatoes longer until tender. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
*Inspired by and adapted from Simply Recipes
PIN it for later!