Classic creamy tuna macaroni salad with onion, celery, hard boiled egg and mayonnaise. Simple recipe made with ingredients on hand and so easy to throw together at the last minute! Everyone loves this comforting tuna pasta salad!
If I had to pick my kids' most requested meal or snack, this tuna macaroni salad would have to top the list. Especially for my youngest daughter who always wanted mom's tuna mac salad, if I was up to the task.
Honestly, it couldn't be easier and takes about as long as cooking the pasta, so just minutes from start to finish. I always adapted it a little each time with what I had on hand. But in a perfect world, this is my favorite way to make this tuna salad.
Here's what you'll need:
- Macaroni or other small pasta shape, like small shells or small bowties, or even fusilli.
- Canned tuna I use albacore solid white tuna in water.
- Celery and onion
- Hard boiled eggs
- Mayonnaise good quality like Hellmann's or Duke's
- Celery salt essential in my version!
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Tuna Macaroni Salad
Step 1: Cook macaroni, drain and rinse with cold water.
Step 2: In large bowl, add flaked tuna and chopped celery, onion and hardboiled egg.
Step 3: Add cooked macaroni, mayonnaise and celery salt.
Step 4: Mix to combine well. Taste for seasonings and serve!
Recipe Notes and Tips
- This is so adaptable, add more or less of each ingredient to your taste.
- Make it a little more southern style by adding some sweet pickle relish or peas to this salad.
- You can easily double this recipe for a crowd or potluck.
- Store leftovers in fridge. It will dry out as the macaroni will soak up the mayo. To loosen up again, try mixing in a little water, a teaspoon at a time to desired consistency.
- Try this classic egg salad recipe for the perfect, comforting sandwich. Also, super quick and easy!
Some foods just cheered up my tired kids when they got too busy and off their schedules. Tuna mac salad is such a comforting, old-fashioned classic to whip up anytime. It always feeds the soul. xxo- Kelly🍴🐦
Classic Tuna Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces dry macaroni pasta
- 1 can albacore solid white tuna in water 7 oz
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process. Let drain well once cooled down.
- In large mixing bowl, add drained and flaked tuna, chopped celery, chopped onion and chopped hard boiled egg.
- Add the cooked macaroni, mayonnaise and celery salt.
- Mix until well combined. Taste for seasonings, add salt and pepper and more celery salt, if needed. Serve immediately.
- To mellow the bite of raw onion, soak onion in water for about 20 minutes, then drain and add to salad.
- You can use more or less mayonnaise for your desired consistency.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
- To loosen up leftovers, mix in a little water and stir until creamy.