Simple egg salad recipe with hard boiled eggs that peel easily, mayo, relish, mustard and dill. Makes a delicious and comforting sandwich for lunch or dinner.
An egg salad sandwich for lunch is classic, easy to make and comfort food in no time. While I'm good with chopped hard boiled eggs with mayo, salt and pepper, sprucing it up with a few more ingredients takes it to extra delicious.
For easy to peel eggs, cook them in the Instant Pot. It really makes for egg shells that peel right off and it couldn't be easier to hard boil them this way.
Here's what you need for yummy egg salad:
- hard boiled eggs
- Dijon mustard
- dill pickle relish
- dill weed
- salt and pepper
How to make egg salad
Step 2: Chop eggs and mix well with remaining ingredients.
Step 3: Mound on a slice of bread or toast, with or without lettuce, and enjoy the best egg salad sandwich!
Recipe notes and tips
- The Instant Pot or pressure cooker really makes for hard boiled eggs that peel easily. That's because they are essentially steamed under pressure. Hard boiling eggs in water on the stovetop is equally fine for this recipe, too. Use your preferred method.
- I use dried dill weed but fresh dill would be fine, adjust amount to taste.
- You can also swap out the dill relish with sweet relish or use both, a teaspoon of each.
- The mayonnaise amount is a guide, it really depends how creamy you want it. I like a lot and really creamy and messy!
- Make your sandwich on any bread or toast you like, a green lettuce leaf is optional.
- An open-faced egg salad sandwich with thin slices of smoked salmon is a tasty variation!
Homemade egg salad makes the ultimate comfort food sandwich at home. And honestly, we've all been spending more time at home these days. This is a perfect lunch for the times. Kelly🍴🐦
You know what else is great for lunch? My tuna macaroni salad with tuna and hard-boiled eggs. It's an easy and comforting old-school favorite!
I also like reheated dinner leftovers for lunch, especially if it can make a sandwich, and soup! Here are a few favorites you might want to try:
- Leftover Lamb Flatbreads
- Reuben Sandwich
- Sloppy Joes
- Instant Pot Ham and White Soup
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on INSTAGRAM, or give me a follow on FACEBOOK or see what I’m pinning on PINTEREST.
Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise more or less, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dill pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill medium bowl with ice and then water, set aside.
- Place wire rack in Instant Pot insert and 1 cup water. Place eggs on rack, seal and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Naturally release for 5 minutes, then release remaining pressure and remove eggs to ice water bath for 5 minutes. (Or hard boil eggs using your preferred method.)
- Peel eggs and add to a medium bowl, chop eggs to desired dice. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Taste for seasonings and adjust if needed. Make a sandwich on bread or toast and enjoy!
- You can add more or less mayo, your preference for desired consistency.
- Fresh dill can be used, adjust amount to taste.
- Make a sandwich on bread or toast, with or without lettuce.
- If boiling eggs on stovetop, place in pan and cover fully with water. Once the water comes to a boil, cover the pan with a lid and remove the pan from the heat. Do not lift the lid, set timer for 10 - 12 minutes and then remove to bowl of ice water to cool.
Friday 12th of November 2021
I am always looking for a great egg salad recipe. I would give this a 5 star, since I did not have fresh dill, I used dried. By far my favorite.
Wednesday 17th of November 2021
Dried dill is perfect! Glad you liked this egg salad recipe.
Wednesday 9th of September 2020
Egg salad on toast is the way to go!