Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken ~ easy, crispy and juicy chicken made with mayonnaise, parmesan and canned fried onions, on the table in 30 minutes.
A few years ago, I tried the parmesan chicken recipe off the Hellmann's mayonnaise jar. Do you know that one? It was super easy, the chicken was juicy and most importantly, Picky Eater liked it and she claims she doesn't like chicken. You all know I'm not a boneless chicken breast fan, but I found myself staring at a couple last week.
I looked in the fridge, scoured the pantry, and thought about that Hellmann's recipe. How about adding some Dijon mustard and crushed French fried onions? Yeah, those canned onions people use for green bean casserole (everyone but me, I use them for a baked fish recipe). That's how I came up with Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken.
HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED
HOW TO MAKE EASY BAKED ONION PARMESAN CHICKEN
It's basically Hellmann's Parmesan Crusted Chicken recipe with a few additions. Super easy and perfect for weeknight dinners.
- Season chicken breast halves with salt and pepper.
- Spread some Dijon mustard on each and then the mayo/parmesan mixture and then some seasoned bread crumbs.
- Top with the crushed fried onions and bake.
I really liked the flavor boost from the Dijon and fried onions. The chicken was tender, juicy and crispy. And best of all, it came together in 30 minutes, start to finish. Just what I need during the week.
This is one of the few ways I like boneless chicken breasts. Try it some time, I bet you and your family would like it, too. ~ Kelly🍴🐦
Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise Hellmann's, Best Foods or Dukes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves about 1 pound
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can French fried onions, crushed to make about 8 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Combine mayonnaise and parmesan cheese in bowl, set aside. Gently pound chicken breast halves between plastic wrap to thin slightly and make uniform pieces. Place pounded chicken on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Spread about 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard on top of each breast half. Evenly top with mayonnaise mixture and then sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Lastly, evenly top each with 2 tablespoons crushed fried onions.
- Baked until the chicken is done and tops are browned, about 15 - 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
- Sometimes I gently pound the chicken to be more uniform and thinner, or I cut in half horizontally if really big. Just looking for four even sized boneless chicken breasts.
- Inspired and adapted from Hellmann's Parmesan Crusted Chicken recipe