How to make the best crispy chicken wings in the air fryer, seasoned with Cajun spices and a drizzle of hot honey for the perfect sweet heat flavor profile!
I was late to the air fryer and really don't use it all that often. At first I used it just for frozen french fries. Then, frozen beer battered cod. Did I really get an air fryer just for cooking crispy frozen food? No, I did not, I told myself.
I quickly became obsessed with making chicken wings. I discovered how crispy they get in the air fryer with no added oil. I simply toss them in a dry rub after they're done, our favorite homemade Cajun seasoning blend, and then a drizzle of hot honey.
Here's what you'll need:
- Chicken wings separated into flats and drumettes. You can buy them separated or cut whole wings yourself like shown below.
- Cajun or Creole seasoning preferably a blend with no added salt.
- Hot Honey I like Mike's Hot Honey which is always on my counter, or use any brand you like. Or mix in a little cayenne or chipotle chili powder to regular honey to make it spicy.
How to Cut Chicken Wings
I like to buy whole wings and break them down myself. They're cheaper and usually more meaty. Here's how to cut them:
- Wiggle the wing tip where it connects to the flat. With a sharp chef's knife or kitchen shears, cut right through the middle of that joint. And save those tips for chicken stock, I put them in a bag in the freezer.
- Now do the same with the flat and the drumette. Wiggle the joint connecting the two and cut right through the middle to separate.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Pat the wing pieces dry and lightly salt. Place in single layer in preheated air fryer basket.
Step2: Cook wings for 20 to 25 minutes, opening the basket every 5 minutes or so to shake them around, and even flipping them halfway through.
Step 3: Cook wings until golden and crispy all over.
Step 4: Transfer wings to a bowl, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and then toss to coat the wings with the dry seasoning.
Step 5: Drizzle with hot honey, plate and serve.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Buy wings already separated into flats and drumettes or break whole ones down yourself.
- Try not to over crowd the basket so they crisp better. A little overlap is okay because you'll be shaking the basket to move them around.
- Season with the Cajun/Creole spices after the wings are cooked, not before. You can use any dry rub blend you like, I also like a little lemon pepper seasoning sometimes, too.
- You do not need to spray the wings with oil, they get plenty crispy and golden just from the fat in the skin.
- Prepared hot honey can be found in most grocery stores and like I said, I like Mike's Hot Honey. A drizzle of plain honey is yummy, too. Or spice up a couple of tablespoons of honey with a little cayenne pepper or chipotle chili powder.
- Serve as is or with ranch, blue cheese or any other dipping sauce you like!
These air fryer chicken wings are so addictive with the spicy sweet Cajun-hot honey flavor thing going on, we can't get enough of them. And best yet, with very little hands on time, they're on the table in about half an hour. Can't beat that! xxo- Kelly🍴🐦
I've also perfected southern fried catfish in the air fryer, crispy on the outside and tender and mild on the inside. It satisfies the Friday fish fry cravings! And you need to try this easy homemade tartar sauce with it!
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 10 chicken wings, flats and drumettes about 1½ pounds
- Kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun/Creole seasoning, no salt blend
- 1-2 tablspoons hot honey store bought, like Mike's Hot Honey
- Preheat the air fryer 400º
- Pat chicken wings dry, lightly season with salt.
- Place in preheated basket in a single layer with minimum overlap. Set cook time for 25 minutes.
- Every 5 minutes or so, open basket and shake wings to move around and crisp evenly. About half way through, use tongs to flip pieces over as needed.
- Check wings after 20 minutes, they should be done but if not crispy enough to your liking, air fry another 5 minutes for a total of 25 minutes.
- Transfer cooked wings to a large bowl. Sprinkle on Cajun seasoning and toss in bowl to coat thoroughly. Drizzle with hot honey to taste, serve immediately.
- I buy a 3-pound package of whole wings and break them down myself. The package will yield 20 wing portions that I air fry in two batches.
- The wings do not need to be sprayed with oil, they will crisp beautifully without added oil.
- Add the Cajun dry seasoning and hot honey after cooking, not before.
Thursday 23rd of September 2021
Easy to make, even easier to eat! Can't get enuff...