Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken ~ easy, crispy and juicy chicken made with mayonnaise, parmesan and canned fried onions, on the table in 30 minutes.
A few years ago, I tried the parmesan chicken recipe off the Hellmann’s mayonnaise jar. Do you know that one? It was super easy, the chicken was juicy and most importantly, Picky Eater liked it and she claims she doesn’t like chicken. You all know I’m not a boneless chicken breast fan, but I found myself staring at a couple last week. I looked in the fridge, scoured the pantry, and thought about that Hellmann’s recipe. How about adding some Dijon mustard and crushed French fried onions? Yeah, those canned onions people use for green bean casserole (everyone but me, I use them for a baked fish recipe). That’s how I came up with Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken.
It’s basically Hellmann’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken recipe with a few additions. I pounded the chicken breasts a little bit, spread some Dijon mustard on each and then the mayo/parmesan mixture and then some seasoned bread crumbs and crushed fried onions. Super easy, perfect for weeknight dinners.
I really liked the flavor boost from the Dijon and fried onions. The chicken was tender, juicy and crispy. And best of all, it came together in 30 minutes, start to finish. Just what I need during the week.
This is one of the few ways I like boneless chicken breasts. Try it some time, I bet you and your family would like it, too. ~ Kelly
If you’ve tried this baked Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken or any other recipe on the blog, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how yours turned out in the comments below ~ I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of what I’m cooking in my kitchen and recipes. Never miss a post ~ sign up for The Hungry Bluebird Newsletter for a weekly email of new content.
Crispy Onion Parmesan Chicken
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise (Hellmann's, Best Foods or Dukes)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb )
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3 - 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 can French fried onions, crushed to make about 8 tbspns
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Combine mayonnaise and parmesan cheese in bowl, set aside. Gently pound chicken breast halves between plastic wrap to thin slightly and make uniform pieces. Place pounded chicken on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Spread about 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard on top of each breast half. Evenly top with mayonnaise mixture and then sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Lastly, evenly top each with 2 tablespoons crushed fried onions.
- Baked until the chicken is done and tops are browned, about 15 - 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
*Inspired and adapted from Hellmann’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken recipe