Classic beef tacos, made with homemade seasoned ground beef filling, no packaged mix. Easy, flavorful taco meat comes together in the skillet in about half an hour. Put out all the fixins for a perfect weeknight dinner the whole family loves!
I love a good taco when I go out for Mexican, especially tacos al pastor. At home though, I make these classic ground beef tacos, simple and flavorful and my family’s favorite.
Always Hungry in New York has asked me how to make it, and it’s usually requested when the kids are home. It’s a great taco meat base for whatever toppings you want to pile on.
How to make homemade filling for beef tacos
Step 1: Cook some onion for a few minutes, add garlic, spices and salt and cook until fragrant.
Step 2: Add the ground beef, cook and break up with a wooden spoon until no longer pink.
Step 3: Stir in some tomato sauce, chicken stock, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar. Simmer about 15 minutes until thickened.
This taco meat is full of flavor but not spicy. And it’s so versatile, either in a classic hard taco shell, wrapped up in a flour tortilla like a burrito or piled on chips for nachos. Nothing fancy or time consuming, just really delicious.
I don’t think you need to wait for Taco Tuesday to make these beef tacos. Any weeknight is perfect for this family-friendly dinner.
Pull out all the fixins — cheese, lettuce, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, salsa, onion, jalapeños, sour cream, cilantro — whatever floats your boat, and have a taco bar at home. You will love these beef tacos, I promise! Best ~ Kelly
UPDATED: With new photos and copy in April, 2020, no changes to original recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef, I like ground sirloin
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth, I used homemade
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Tortillas, corn or flour or hard/crispy
- Toppings of choice, such as: cheese, sour cream, beans, salsa, hot sauce, shredded lettuce or cabbage, jalapeños, cilantro, avocado, lime wedges, tortilla chips
- Get all your ingredients prepped and in place, measure your spices out into one small dish. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add garlic, spices and salt, and cook until fragrant, maybe a minute, being careful not to burn.
- Add the ground beef and cook and break up with a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Do not drain meat. Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, cider vinegar and brown sugar. Simmer until thickened, about 10 - 15 minutes. You are looking for a thick beef taco mixture, not watery or runny. Taste for salt.
- If using hard shells, heat in oven per package instructions. If using flour or corn tortillas, heat in a nonstick skillet for a minute or two on each side. Fill taco shells with meat mixture and toppings of choice. Enjoy!
*Adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook