We had a great Fourth of July this year. Just my husband and me, Picky Eater had to work. Since she doesn’t like salmon, what a great time to fire up the grill for Maple Mustard Cedar-Planked Salmon. We’ve been eating more salmon this year and this was the first time on the grill. I forgot how much I like it this way. And it is super easy.
So you need a cedar plank. You can find them all over this time of year, I got mine at the grocery store. You need to soak it in water for a couple hours so it doesn’t catch on fire. It tends to float in the water so I weigh it down with a glass of water.
I make a simple sauce to brush on the salmon just before cooking with maple syrup, coarse Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar. That’s it. Simple and delicious with the smoky cedar. I used skinless fillets but it really doesn’t matter. I kind of think the fragrant cedar penetrates the skinless better though. I’ve also made it with a whole piece of salmon when entertaining, beautiful.
Happy belated Fourth.
Maple Mustard Cedar-Planked Salmon
- 3 tablespoons coarse ground Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, the real stuff
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 salmon fillets, about 2 pounds, or 1 piece
- 1 soaked cedar grilling plank
- Soak plank in water for 1-2 hours.
- In small bowl, whisk mustard, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare grill to temperature of 350º.
- Wipe plank dry and place on hot grill and close lid.
- Heat plank for 3 minutes on one side and then flip and heat another 3 minutes until plank begins to smoke and crackle.
- Using tongs, take plank off grill and onto a sheet pan. Arrange salmon on plank and brush it all over with maple mustard sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return plank with salmon to the grill with tongs. Close lid and grill until just done, about 10 minutes (about 20 minutes if using a whole piece).
- Remove plank and salmon from grill and tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Enjoy.
- Good idea to have a spray bottle on hand in case of flare-ups.
- The salmon can marinate in the maple mustard sauce while preparing the grill and cedar plank for about 20-30 minutes and then put on the plank to grill.