This is how to make perfect guacamole at home, simple and fresh, better than your favorite Mexican restaurant. And you have to serve with homemade tortilla chips, you just do! Instructions included with recipe.
Guac. Chips. Queso. Margaritas. Doesn’t that just hit the spot sometimes? That could easily be dinner for me. For most, though, guacamole and chips are an appetizer to enjoy with margaritas and friends. I stumbled across this recipe for perfect guacamole to make at home.
There must be a gazillion guacamole recipes, all pretty similar to each other, the star being good, ripe avocados. Don’t you hate it when you cut into an avocado you think is perfectly ripe and it’s bad inside? It happens more often than I like but what can you do, I usually buy an extra or two in case I get a dud.
Mashing the avocado for guacamole is a matter of preference I guess, chunky or smooth? I say definitely on the chunky side. Use a spoon or fork, or even a potato masher. Just mash it lightly so it’s still chunky.
As with most recipes, you get out what you put in. I’m talking quality, freshness here. White onion, fresh jalapeños, ripe tomato, freshly squeezed lime juice, fragrant cilantro, it all adds up to one perfect bowl of guac. A little cotija cheese grated on top is a nice finishing touch. I couldn’t find any so I crumbled some queso fresco on top. And really good tortilla chips. Buy the best local chips you can find, or even make your own like I do (see how to in the recipe notes). Great homemade guacamole isn’t so great with mediocre chips.
This is a great time of year to make guacamole. Tomatoes are in season, as are jalapeños and onions. Look for avocados that give just a little, not too soft or overripe. If you’re lucky, you won’t get any bad ones. Buy three for this recipe, just in case. You want perfect guacamole. Best, Kelly
If you’ve tried this Perfect Guacamole, please rate it below in the comments and let me know how it went ~ I love hearing from you! HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for all the latest updates.
UPDATED May 1, 2019: no changes to original recipe, just spiffed things up a bit and included instructions for making homemade tortilla chips.
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh tomato, seeded
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon grated cotija cheese (or crumbled queso fresco)
- Good quality tortilla chips or make your own! Instructions below.
- Spoon the avocado flesh from the skins into a bowl. Lightly chop the avocado with the edge of the spoon, or mash it lightly with a potato masher, it should be chunky.
- Add the onion, jalapeño, tomato, lime juice, cilantro, cumin and salt. Stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Transfer guacamole to serving dish, sprinkle with cotija and serve with chips.
* Adapted from Sauce Magazine, July 6, 2016