Sausage, Apple, Sauerkraut and Potato Skillet ~ German sausages with apples, onion, sauerkraut and potatoes in one skillet on the stovetop, perfect for celebrating Oktoberfest and the fall season!
After months of sweltering St. Louis heat, I’m always so relieved when fall arrives. This year it’s a little late in getting here, but there’s finally a crisp chill in the air. I came across some German sausages at the store, picked up a package, and made this sausage and sauerkraut skillet with apples and potatoes for Oktoberfest. It’s perfect this time of year.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED
I make this on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. You need fresh pork sausage, German-style or bratwurst will work, granny smith apples, some onion and potatoes. We like Bavarian-style sauerkraut, it’s milder and sweeter and usually has some caraway seed in it.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Brown the sausages.
- Add the onions and brown.
- Toss in the apples and cook a bit more.
- Then the potatoes, sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and apple juice.
- Then a little brown sugar, for extra yumminess.
- Nestle the sausages in the mixture and simmer until sausages are done, potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has cooked down.
RECIPE NOTES AND TIPS
You might be wondering if this is too sweet. It’s not, there is a nice balance between sweet and sour, and the tart apple and onion. It all cooks down until most of the liquid evaporates, and all the flavors meld together perfectly. And a swipe of German-style or Creole whole grain mustard gilds the lily.
I’m all for one skillet meals, this is so simple to make on the stovetop. German Sausage, Apple, Sauerkraut and Potato skillet ~ not sure how authentic this is, but it’s perfect for the fall season, regardless. Have some rye bread or soft pretzel rolls and butter on hand and you’re all set! Prost, Kelly🍴🐦
Sausage, Apple, Sauerkraut and Potato Skillet
- 4-6 fresh pork sausage links, German-style or bratwurst
- Olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored, cut into slices
- ½ pound small yellow waxy potatoes, cut in half
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweet Bavarian style sauerkraut with caraway seeds, drained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar (I use dark brown)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- German or Creole grainy mustard for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high with a glug of olive oil. Pierce sausages several times and then brown on all sides in skillet, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil and a knob of butter to skillet. Toss in onions, add a pinch of salt, and sauté until lightly browned and starting to soften. If needed, add a little more butter and then the apple slices, toss gently and cook with the onions for a couple of minutes. Lastly, add the potatoes and toss with onion-apple mixture and cook, stirring frequently for a few more minutes. Season lightly with salt.
- Add the drained sauerkraut, apple juice and brown sugar, and, if desired, more caraway seed. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Nestle sausages in apple-sauerkraut-potato mixture, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and simmer another 20-25 minutes until sausage is cooked through, potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve, with grainy mustard and rye bread or soft pretzel rolls with butter. Enjoy!