One-pan, one-pot meals are my thing. Especially when the cooler weather arrives. This Sheet Pan Chicken, Potatoes and Herbs is a favorite of mine. Very similar to my chicken thighs and potatoes and Greek chicken recipes ~ but in sheet pan form, you could say.
It may be October, but it's still very warm in St. Louis. We haven't had to turn the heat on yet, in fact, we keep having to turn the A/C back on ~ sheesh! Anyway, my herbs are still thriving in my garden, some a little tired looking, but still hanging in there. I snipped some sage, oregano and rosemary for this dish, and added some fresh thyme I had on hand.
And since I recently made some chicken stock, I had thighs and legs in the freezer. All I needed was some potatoes, which I picked up at the farm. They also had these tiny little onions that kind of looked like shallots, and I grabbed a handful of those and some more heirloom garlic. Sheet pan chicken was happening, so simple and good.
So basically, grab a big sheet pan, arrange the chicken and potatoes on it, the little onions, maybe a few smashed garlic cloves, and tuck those fresh herbs all over. I like adding some lemon wedges, too. Then drizzle a simple Greek vinaigrette over the chicken and pop it in the oven. About an hour later, done ~ dinner!!
All this good stuff roasts together, yielding the most incredible pan juices, not to mention the aroma wafting out of your kitchen. It's so versatile, too, change it up any way you like, based on what you have. Sheet Pan Chicken, Potatoes and Herbs is a winner, winner, chicken dinner ~ for sure.
Sheet Pan Chicken, Potatoes and Herbs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning (or Italian seasoning)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 to 10 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and legs
- 10 to 12 new potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 6 very small onions or shallots, peeled, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Several sprigs mixed fresh herbs, such as sage, rosemary, oregano and thyme
- 1 lemon, 4 to 6 wedges/slices (use the lemon from juicing)
- Preheat oven to 375º. Thoroughly dry chicken pieces and sprinkle all over with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Make vinaigrette. Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a large sheet pan, arrange chicken evenly in one layer, then add potatoes around the chicken. Scatter the onions and garlic evenly around the chicken and potatoes. Re-whisk vinaigrette and drizzle over chicken pieces, making sure each piece is completely covered, use hands to rub around, if needed.
- Tuck herbs all over, between chicken and potatoes, and lay a few sprigs on top. Lastly, arrange the lemon wedges evenly over the pan.
- Bake in center of oven until chicken is done (juices run clear) and potatoes are tender, about an hour. Remove garlic and herbs. Serve chicken and potatoes/onions drizzled with pan juices.
Saturday 6th of March 2021
Is it a whole 30 recipe?
Saturday 6th of March 2021
It is Whole30 compliant, check ingredients in Dijon mustard for wine or sugar which you don’t want.
Wednesday 3rd of June 2020
I can't honestly give it 5 stars because I didn't have all the ingredients to make it exactly as you said to, BUT they way it turned out was AMAZING! The only things I didn't have were the lemon and mustard. I used dry mustard (I know--completely different flavor) and russet instead of new potatoes as well. It smelled wonderful and the chicken was so tender! Definitely will be keeping this one for future use! Thank you!
Sunday 7th of June 2020
It all worked so good on you, YUM!