Tender and flavorful loin lamb chops simply marinated in olive oil, lemon, garlic and fresh herbs, then grilled to perfection.
I'm sort of on this kick right now, with the kids gone back to wherever after break, and I'm making stuff for Meathead and me that they either hate, or won't try. Lamb chops, for instance.
No way they could eat lamb, it's a baby...I won't go on, I'm sure you can fill in the rest of their argument. I haven't made grilled lamb chops in years. I forgot how good they are.
When I was a kid, my mom (not a good cook by any stretch of the imagination) would broil lamb chops for dinner sometimes, on a weeknight. Just salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce. My brother hated lamb, but I loved my mom's lamb chops. If I got home from school and she told me that's what's for dinner, I could hardly wait. And she usually made creamed spinach (well, Stouffer's did) to go with it, just for me.
So, I rather spontaneously picked up a package of really good looking loin lamb chops a couple of months ago. Meathead grilled them outside, in the cold, with salt and pepper and Worcestershire. Pretty good, we agreed. I mean really good.
I've made a few times since then and thought, I should try marinating them. I had some fresh rosemary and lemons, so that's what I did.
Oh my gosh, this marinade is simple and so great for lamb chops. Olive oil, lemon, garlic and rosemary. I think I added some dried thyme also, I would have thrown in some fresh thyme if I had any. I marinated for a couple hours and then we grilled the chops. They. Were. Delicious. I'd say they were perfect.
We like these chops grilled outside, in the cold, but the broiler would work just fine, so would a grill pan. I would suggest marinating at least one hour, you could probably let it go a lot longer. Whatever you decide, these lamb chops will knock your socks off. Best, Kelly
Here are a few more recipes for the grill with simple marinades or sauces:
- Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with a simple and tasty soy sauce-honey-garlic marinade.
- Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce easy, fresh Argentinian chimichurri with parsley and oregano.
- Grilled Harissa Shrimp brined first to ensure tender, not rubbery, shrimp and then marinated in harissa paste and grilled on skewers.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on INSTAGRAM, or give me a follow on FACEBOOK or see what I’m pinning on PINTEREST.
Grilled Lamb Chops
- 6-8 loin lamb chops, 1½ to 2 inches thick
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or a little more)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, optional (or some fresh thyme, finely chopped)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Make the marinade. Combine all the ingredients, minus the chops, and mix well. Add about a teaspoon or so of salt and a few good grinds of pepper.
- Put chops in a single layer in a glass dish. Pour marinade over them, flip chops to coat well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator at least an hour, turning occasionally. I marinated for 2 hours.
- About an hour before you're ready to grill, set the chops out to get room temp. Heat grill to medium-high, and grill chops to medium rare, about 7 or 8 minutes a side. Let rest, covered loosely with foil, for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Monday 13th of March 2023
My wife absolutely loves this stuff. Nuff said.
Thursday 28th of July 2022
Lambs grazing everywhere here in Iowa, but already sold to restaurants. I am able to buy beautiful grass fed lamb from Strauss Farms, a Wisconsin farm, at HyVee. I stock up whenever they are in the store. Luv your marinade.
Monday 8th of February 2021
First time I made lamb. I don’t care for it but my husband loves it and he loved this recipe. Thank you for giving us another meal choice. I’ll make it more often now. It was so easy to put together.
Sunday 24th of November 2019
These chops were delicious I added a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the marinade.
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Saturday 13th of February 2016
This would be a nice Easter dinner. Lamb chops are great on the grill..have not had them recently. I also used to make leg of lamb, tomato based sauce and eggplant...Greek style.
Wednesday 17th of February 2016
Mark is obsessed with lamb chops ever since I started making them again. They are so good on the grill!